Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Vetrans Lobby Day

Today is the day that thousands of Vetrans, both gay and straight, converge upon Washington D.C. for Vetrans Lobby Day. A day to show support for the repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in the Military. I would have loved to be there and hear the speaches, show my support, etc but I found out way to late about this day to get there. I have taken action, and you can do it as well. You can call your Senators, and Representatives and tell them you support the Vetrans Lobby Day, and the repeal of the Don't ask don't tell policy.

You can elaborate as much or little as you feel. They will probably ask for your zip code to ensure you live in their District. It only takes a few minutes, but if we can have their phone lines flooded it will show the support of the American public to allow EVERYONE to serve openly and honestly in the Military.

It wasn't until I was in the Army that I fully realized my sexual orientation. I knew that was something I HAD to keep hidden while serving my country. Given my specialty and the fact I carried a Top Secret security clearance had I not hidden that part of my life a Dishonerable Discharge would have been swiftly coming my way. Things would not have been good.

I don't want to get too deep here, but this is certainly something that is near and dear to me. I have called Rep George Miller, who co-sponsored the bill to repeal the don't ask don't tell policy. I have also called Senators Fienstein and Boxer urging them to work on repealing this discriminatory policy. Please take 10 minutes of your time today and call your Representative in Washington DC.

{******************} HUGZ to you all~!!!!!

No comments: