Friday, January 30, 2009

Comfort Food

(yes Matthew this one is for you)

Stress is an amazing thing. Buying a house seems pretty full of the stuff. Anyway at the end of the day I was a wreck. Ready to throw in the towel and give up on this "American Dream" that I seem determined to persue. After a call from my Realtor to help relax me, and a follow up from Julie I had an idea for what I was making for dinner. (Ok it pretty much consisted of chopping some shit up to get the stress thing under control) I pulled a package of stew meat from the freezer and popped it into the Microwave to defrost. Chopped up an onion and saute'd it. (standard practice, evoo) Pulled the onion out of the pan, added a little more evoo and heated that thing up good. I sliced the stew meat into smaller pieces while the onion was cooking. Once the pan was good and hot I dropped in the stew meat. Add some fresh ground pepper (yeah I got a peppermill) and brown/sear that meat up right. This is where it gets fun. Grabbed the beef stock and poured in a cup or so. Put the onion back in and while the stock was heating up I chopped up a couple of cloves of garlic.. Dropped in the garlic, lowered the heat and covered it. let it simmer a bit.

I decided this was gonna be a rice and beef kinda dish. So I get the rice going, and check the beef. Add a little Cumin to the beef mixture, and some more stock.. Let it simmer along, cooking and building flavors, and letting the beef get nice and tender. Anyway about the time the rice is done the beef is ready. Heat up some corn, thicken the juices in the beef for a gravy. There you have it.

I titled this one "Comfort Food". That is what I described above. Beef, rice, gravy... that's comfort food for me. Hell just Rice and Gravy is good enough for me. I don't even need the meat. (shut up Matthew)

Anyway just thought I'd post something up here. Things will go well. I see it happening, and thoughts become reality

Hugz to you all.
{*********************}

No comments: