Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Day

So the day has begun. I got up at 7am after being out last night to get the ball rolling. Chopped up some celery, onion, garlic, fresh rosemary, and thyme for the stuffing. Mixed that all in with the unseasoned bread cubes, and then added about 4 cups of water and a melted stick of butter. Stirred that around to moisten the bread and mix it all together.

Got the bird ready (removed the neck and giblets etc) rinsed it out well and then stuffed the neck cavity and then the body. Put Thomas (the turkey) on the rack in the roasting pan and put him in the 325 degree oven. It was just a little after 8 am when that happened. Yeah doesn't take me too long to get stuff chopped up and ready for the stuffing. I always think it's gonna take longer than it does.

I made breakfast after getting the turkey in the oven. Ham steaks and scrambled eggs. I also made some Apricot cresent rolls. (simple.. super simple.) you take the Pilsbury cresent rolls (yes the tube of dough that you pop open...you know what I mean) So you take some Apricot jelly (or whatever flavor jam/jelly you fancy) heat it up (you'll need about a half cup or so). Spread it on the triangle of dough, roll it up like normal and place on a cookie sheet. ( I would highly suggest putting some parchment paper on the sheet first. After you get them rolled up, brush them with an egg wash (should be egg white with a little water, I just beat a whole egg with a little water) and then sprinkle some sliced almonds or seasame seeds over the top. Bake them according to the package directions. ENJOY. (yeah it's a little bit of work, but the pay off is worth the effort.)

So the only two remaining things to cook today are the fresh green beans with bacon and almonds, and the Au Gratin potatoes. (Yes I do the potatoes from scratch.) The cheese sauce is the hardest part. As I remember I chop up an onion (somewhere between chopped and minced) saute the onion in EVOO or butter. Add flour to make a roux (cook the flour a little so you don't get that 'blah' taste) then add the cheese and milk. Cook over a med to low heat to melt the cheese and then thicken the sauce. Slice some potatoes put in a cassarole dish, pour the cheese sauce over and mix. Put in the oven and bake for 30 to 45 mins, until potatoes are cooked.

So now you know what I'm making. Yeah there will be left overs. Food is good.

I hope you are spending the day with family and/or friends. Enjoy the company and I hope you find reasons to give thanks on this day. I am thankful for my family, and all my friends. This past year has been a great one, making new friends and getting out of the house. Julie, Ian, Joey, Jenny, Matthew, Rik, Ajax, thanks for all the great nights and fun times. Brenda, Darrell, Blaine, Wyatt, Dani, thanks for the vacation memories. Everyone else who I forgot to mention thank you for the freindship and know you all are a part of my life.

{****************}
Hugz to you all

No comments: